El Camino de Santiago - The Pilgrim's Walk

by Peter Hennessey

In the year 2006 nearly one hundred thousand completed at least some part of the Camino. It follows several trails from all over Europe to Santiago & the supposed final resting place of the Apostle St James. Executed in Jerusalem in 43AD his remains were mysteriously found by the hermit Pelayo in a cave in the 9th century. In the following centuries a flood of pilgrims from all over Europe descended on Santiago. They played significant role in repopulating & the re-conquest of Spain from the Moslems (Moors). The Camino nearly passed into history during the nineteenth & early twentieth centuries. But has experienced a resurgence in the past twenty years mainly with French & German travelers.


Walking into the Cathedral with five minutes to spare & still carrying my backpack.

I could sense the excitement amongst other Pilgrims. In fact chatting to fellow walkers on the way through the suburbs of Santiago left no doubt this would be a day well remembered by all who complete the Camino.

With new friends Michael & Ute, I had started two hours before sunrise. So we could be here for the midday service.

It had meant walking by torchlight until we stopped at a village for breakfast. Twenty kilometers in one morning is easy when you have just walked over seven hundred & sixty kilometers.

My journey started in St Jean Pied de Port southern France nearly five weeks earlier. Then I was alone & a little nervous as I crossed the Pyrenees. My first day was memorable for the constant rain, waterlogged boots, falling in the mud & wet mobile phone.

It was four years since my friend Daniel Pericart inspired me to attempt the Camino. It required detailed preparation, many months of training & then the flights to Europe.

Finally, I crossed into Spain on August 23rd wet but determined to go on. In the weeks to come I would meet many fascinating individuals from all parts of the world & experience the history, culture & cuisine of Spain village by village.

Each day required a search for food & a suitable Albergue. Basic hostel accommodation often run by volunteers where it’s usual to have forty travelers share a dormitory. I walked an average of 24 kilometers a day. But always had plenty of time to explore & socialize with fellow travelers.

Many people asked why I was doing the walk! Adventure & the physical challenge are part of the answer. I also decided it was an opportunity to reflect on where to from here with my life. I’m not very religious person but I did experience a spiritual element throughout.

(c) 2007 Aussie Escape. All Rights Reserved