Global Vision International Thailand

This post is from Hannah McMurray who is in Thailand with Global Vision International.

It is difficult to know where to start because in the past10 weeks I have had the most amazing time and sooo many new experiences.

One of the best things about this expedition in Thailand is that you do things and see things that you would never see if you were traveling with friends or alone. You are completely immersed in the culture and you experience the real Thailand, as opposed to experiencing the tourist side of things.

Being a teacher in Ao Luk is hard work but it really pays off. Today, for example, 10 of my students took me and the other expedition members out for the day. We went elephant trekking, had a picnic on a private beach and then went to a temple that had depictions of heaven and hell. Amazing!!

One of the best things that will always stick in my head from my time in Ao Luk is December 5th 2007…. The Kings 80th birthday! In Thailand this was a massive event and it took place over the course of 3 days. For 3 days straight everybody came together to celebrate, eat, sing and dance. The atmosphere was amazing and being falang (Thai for foreigner) was even more amazing as everybody wants to talk and share a part of their culture with you. One night at the festival another expedition member and myself went from meeting our students who then took us to a Thai hut to eat Oysters and whisky, then off again to try out some rice pounding, then we joined in with the orchestra of the local primary school, where we played some strange instruments. Then we went off into another hut to eat some very hot food which made my eyes stream! We then danced in a parade and ate more food!! Super snazzy fun I tell you…

The last night of the festival was the best for me as I had volunteered myself to be part of a Thai dance along with other GVI members and some students from the Non Formal Education Centre. We practiced the dance for 2 weeks before the big performance. We were due to perform in Laem Sak, a small village by the sea in Ao Luk, plus at the main celebration at the district office.

For the dance we had to wear full Thai costume which included beautiful Thai silks and jewelry, heavy duty make-up and big hair… all done by professionals. I have to say we all looked absolutely amazing and the attention we got from everybody was unreal. It was literally like being a celebrity; everyone (I mean everyone) wanted their photo with us. The experience was completely mind blowing… I know that it was an experience that I would never have had the opportunity to do anywhere else or probably ever again.

Everything that I have done and seen in Ao Luk has been pretty amazing, it has been a one off experience that I am so glad I took part in and I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it.

(c) 2007 Aussie Escape. All Rights Reserved