5 Easy Steps to "Quit your Job and Travel the World"

I set out to travel the world in January of 2007 after working 6 years in the radio biz in the Baltimore/Washington DC area of the United States at age 28. For all intents and purposes I had a really good job. I made good money, had a nice house, and had just bought a new car. However, something was missing in my life. At some point in the summer of 2006 I had simply had enough of the "real world" and made up my mind to quit it and travel.

The following are the five steps I took that led to my current life as a world traveler. My path is untraditional for Americans but far from it for Australians, Europeans, and Canadians. Oh yeah, I am loving every second of it. Life is good and I highly recommend doing the same if it is something you have always dreamed of doing.

Step 1: Make up your mind and stick to it.

If you want to quit and travel, then quit and travel. Whether it be for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or five years. DO IT! People from any age and any income bracket can do it. I met families traveling in South America. One Dutch family in particular had three kids (11, 9, 6) on the road with them for a one year trip. The kids were loving it and according to their parents were learning a hell of a lot more than they would be in school.

If you have some cash you will find a new amazing adventure to spend it on every day. If you are scraping by you will find a way to support yourself through work or volunteering. The human soul is resilient. Even in the worst of times or situations you will find a way to push through and people to help you. So, rich or poor decide to make a move and stick to it. You can even crash on peoples couches for free (if you let people crash on your couch). Check out www.globalfreeloaders.com.

Step 2: Take a look at the “dollar dollar bills” and plan accordingly

By and large Europe, the US, Canada, Australia, and Japan are the most expensive places to travel. South East Asia, India, Africa, and South America are going to be much cheaper options. Money should not be an issue if you plan to go to the places that match your budget. People of all income levels can do this. Young Israelis right out of their mandatory military service flock to South America, India, and South East Asia with little or no money at all and find a way to live for a year. I took the mixed approach in South America and consistently traveled low budget (hostels, shared rooms) while throwing in a few large splurges (Galapagos Islands, Antarctica) when opportunities arose. My trip was financed by a combination of equity that I pulled out of my house and savings. However, if I would have went to Europe for 8 months I would have been forced to work. Conversely, in South America I was free to travel the whole time. It is all about where you want to go and what you want to see for the money that you have. Furthermore, expensive does not always mean better (don’t tell Paris Hilton). There are companies that will help you match a budget to a particular part of the world. They will even plan a world trip for you. Try www.aussieescape.com

Step 3: Research and figure out where you want to go

Now that you know how much dough you have, get on the Internet and start figuring out where the hell you would like to go. The free resources are endless. I ended up staying at Milhouse hostel in Buenos Aires, Argentina on my first night traveling by a fluke search I made on Google. Ironically, this hostel is where I met my best friend of my South American trip. We ended up traveling together on and off for 4 months. It is a good idea to do as much research as possible. However, do not put together too regimented a plan if you can help it. I did not intend to visit either Bolivia or Colombia and they were my two favorite countries. www.lonelyplanet.com has info about any place you could dream of going. www.travbuddies.com is a social networking site for travelers. You can match up with people of the same age, same interests, and that are planning to go to the same place that you are from all around the world.

Step 4: Give one months notice and QUIT!(this is my favorite)

Now that you know how much cash you have and where you want to go. Just do it. Say those magic words, "I quit"! Or maybe this, "I hate you and this stupid job and you can shove those TPS reports straight up your ass!" Or what about, "Jim, I know you are having an affair with your secretary and I am going to tell your wife if you do not continue to pay me as I travel the world". QUIT! QUIT! QUIT! Giving your employer one month notice is more then enough time to do it the right way. Furthermore, 9 out of 10 employers will be in awe of what you are doing as opposed to angry (Warning:If you decided to blackmail your boss they might be angry). You are now officially living the dream and most will wish they were in a position to do the same. It takes a lot of balls to pack up and leave everything for the unknown. Most people will really respect you for your decision. Others will be jealous but you can deal with that when you get back.

Step 5: Buy a big backpack, shove a bunch of crap you think you will need inside, and get on a plane.

Chances are you will not need half of what you initially pack. Honestly, half of the experience is learning as you go. You will realize very quickly that a hairdryer and a tennis racket are simply not necessary.

Happy Travels! You are going to have the time of your life.

Dave Ford
www.daveforddoesearth.com

Have you ever just packed up and gone? Is it something you would love to do? Let us know. Everyone that comments on our blog entries goes into the draw to win an Ocean and Earth 65 litre Travel Backpack valued at over $120. Please include your email address in your comment to go into the draw.


Digg!

(c) 2007 Aussie Escape. All Rights Reserved